Thursday, October 9, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Book Meme


From BTT: I’ve seen this series of questions floating around the ‘net the last few days, and thought it looked like a good one for us!

What was the last book you bought?
Off Season by Anne Rivers Siddons. Y'all know me, I'm a library girl, except for my very favorite authors.

Name a book you have read MORE than once.
I'm not a fan of re-reading, so, next...

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?
Honestly, The Bible.

How do you choose a book? (eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews)
I choose books by: 1) author, 2) reviews, 3) recommendations...but sometimes the cover helps, too. I'm usually not browsing, though, so a cover swaying me happens rarely.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
Easy...fiction. I can get into a good food-related memoir every now and then, but that's about it. I have enough reality...I love where a good novel can take you.

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?
It is a cop-out to say both? If you just have one, it doesn't always make up for the lack of the other.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)
I can't pinpoint my "most" loved character...I love it when writers get Southern women right. Those make my favorite characters, hands down.

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?
I have these on my nightstand:

The 19th Wife

Godchildren
Home
The English Major
The Road Home
Goldengrove
The Shack

Suggestions on where to start?

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?
I just finished One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell last night. (Review up tomorrow.)

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?
Oh yeah...if a book isn't going well, I have no problem putting it down and moving on.

9 comments:

Kathy W said...

I agree with you on the fiction or non-fiction question. A good fiction novel fits me better any day!

SmilingSally said...

The Bible is my answer to the question "which book changed" me.

S. Krishna said...

Ooh, I can't wait for your One Fifth Avenue review!

Fyrefly said...

I haven't read most of your "nightstand" books, but The 19th Wife was a very absorbing read, and much quicker than you'd think from its length.

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I don't re-read books either, although I'd make an exceptin for To Kill A Mockingbird.

I recently read/reviewed The Shack. Its an amazing story. I'll be anxious to hear your take on it.

Shana said...

You've got a lot of interesting books lined up, Jill.

I can't wait to read Off Season; it is sitting patiently on my bookshelf.

The Road Home is completely amazing. I must read more Rose Tremain now!

Shana
Literarily

Yasmin said...

Looking forward to your thoughts regarding the 19th Wife and the Shack.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I haven't read any of the books on your nightstand.

http://web.me.com/Bluestocking_bb

Kathleen said...

We don't seem to read any of the same books. This is mostly because I read more non-fiction of course. I like your blog though. I did BTT early and had it automatically post so I wasn't able to add my url to the list or visit others until now. So just wanted to let you know I've read your BTT and that mine's here if you want to read it.